Cleaning and maintaining your home using natural ingredients including essential oils rather than using toxic chemicals is a cheaper, more environmentally friendly way and it smells SO much better!
Our top 5 Essential Oils for use around the home are -
Tea tree – for its antibacterial properties which have been renowned for decades
Eucalyptus – fresh and invigorating and a boon if there are coughs and colds in the house
Lavender – relaxing but still with antibacterial properties – a most versatile oil
Lemon – the ultimate in freshness – loved by everyone
Pine – clean & fresh – especially good in the bathroom
Here are a few ideas on how to use these fragrant powerhouses around the home -
- When washing hard floors use a non-scented detergent in the water and add 3 drops of tea tree and 4 drops of lemon essential oils. Or use a cup of white vinegar in hot water with the essential oils added.
- Make up a spray bottle with 10 drops of lemon essential oil in 100ml water. Shake well and use as a spray and wipe product to clean kitchen benches.
- Put a couple of drops of lavender or pine essential oils on the cardboard tube inside toilet rolls to subtly freshen the air.
- The germs which cause colds are usually transferred by the surfaces we touch so try adding 1 or 2 drops of eucalyptus onto a damp cloth and use this to wipe over door knobs, light switches and other similar surfaces around the home.
- Any of these essential oils work well to remove cooking odours in the kitchen. Simply add 6 drops of one or a total of 6 drops of a combination of oils to water in a candle vaporiser, or with or without water in an electric vaporiser (refer to the manufacturers instructions) (Essence of Wellbeing recommends electric vaporisers which do not use water, as their operating temperature is lower and therefore safer.)
**A note of caution always take care using essential oils on plastic or painted wooden surfaces around the home as the oils can cause damage or discolouration especially if left on for any length of time. If in any doubt test your mix in an unobtrusive place first.
Wendy Mackay is a qualified Aromatherapist and member of the International Aromatherapy and Aromatic Medicine Association (IAAMA). Wendy and her husband David run Essence of Wellbeing a successful Aromatherapy & Massage Supply and Pure Natural Skin Care business, based in Mornington, Victoria, Australia. Mornington is located on the beautiful Mornington Peninsula about one hour SE of Melbourne.
Other Articles and Essence of Wellbeing products can be viewed at http://aromatherapyandnaturalskincare.com.au